Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Come As You Are: Nirvana- November 14th, 1993 New York Coliseum, NYC


17 years ago today, Kurt Cobain checked out, but 17 years, 4 months and 22 days ago I checked out–Nirvana.

What would turn out to be their final studio LP had just been released that September and the show was on the first leg of their 'In Utero' tour. I remember it was one of the few concerts that I had to camp out overnight for tickets. In hindsight and considering fate, it was well worth it.

The show was held at an odd venue, the now extinct New York Coliseum. Located in Columbus Circle, the 7000-seat hall had been the home of the NY Boat Show for years, until the Javits Center rendered it obsolete. Half Japanese and the Breeders opened, but if I hadn't just looked that up, I wouldn't have remembered–all I know is that I was there for one reason.

My girlfriend (and future wife) Laura, along with my buddy Steve (from Rock Turtleneck fame) and his brother Super Dave were all in attendance that night. Laura had just days earlier taken a nasty spill off a horse and was suffering from a stiff neck. She enjoyed the show from the back of the hall and obliged me to find my way up to the mosh pit. If memory serves, they blasted straight through, I don't remember an encore. I think by this point Kurt and the rest of the band (to a lesser extent) were kinda ambivalent towards the whole thing. Either way, they just played and played. Truly Nirvana.

To say it was an epic show is an understatement. It was one of those shows where for two hours everything was right with the world. Everything made sense. Albeit corny, it was an 'important' show, by an 'important' band, and I was fortunate enough to bare witness to the spectacle that was Nirvana. It clarified and solidified the reason there are and always will be rock shows. And it further helped to shape the rock snob I am today. Although Kurt ended his life just five short months later (talk about all exits final) that evening was absolutely life-affirming. No doubt the peak of my 20's occurred that night–most likely whilst crowd surfing to Territorial Pissings.

We all know how this story ends. Sad, sad sad. But man, what a show that was. Certainly one of, if not the, best show I've ever been to. If only Kurt could have felt or understood exactly what he meant to so many people. I wonder if it would have made any difference?



Nirvana -November 14th, 1993- New York Coliseum, NYC

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Drain You
Breed
Serve The Servants
About A Girl
Heart-Shaped Box
Sliver
Dumb
Come As You Are
Lithium
Pennyroyal Tea
School
Polly [acoustic]
Milk It
Rape Me
Territorial Pissings
Smells Like Teen Spirit
All Apologies
Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam [traditional, cover] [acoustic]
On A Plain
Scentless Apprentice
Blew
Do Nuts [The Legend cover, Everett True on vocals]

You can get the show here.

6 comments:

  1. Laura may have fallen off the horse, but Kurt was very much on the horse, alas. What a show indeed. Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at this show as well. It was definitely one of the best shows I have ever been to and one of the best nights of my entire childhood life! We are unique breed getting to see them live. :)-Irene Merring

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU! Absolutely agree....sadly the last time I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was 16 and had to bug my older sister a ticket to ‘chaperone’ me

    ReplyDelete
  6. any chance you could re-post this file? Thanks. Cool write-up!

    ReplyDelete